Tuesday, April 21, 2009

History of the Marais

We were walking through the Marais during our recent visit to Paris and I noticed this old sign above a closed store front. I can count at least six fonts in the lettering, though there might be more. It seems to me the cursive style visible in the center might be the oldest of the bunch. I made a direct-positive treatment to bring out the depth in the sign, which I think worked quite well. The Marais has such a remarkable history and to me this sign seemed to offer a snapshot to the neighborhood's many eras, but only if you took the time to peer closely enough. Shot with a 24-105mm IS f/4 at 65mm, f/4 and 1/80 sec at ISO400.

3 comments:

Mike Kessler said...

Damian, it's nearly 1 a.m. now, but tomorrow I'll write my first experience in the Marais at Jo Goldberg's.

Mike Kessler said...

January 2002, not long after 9/11, I visited Paris for my first time, with Buck. I'd read about Jo Goldberg's Deli in the Marais, and had to go. I ordered all my Jewish favorites -- chopped liver, matzoh ball soup, etc. But before any food arrives I begin feeling nauseous. I ask Buck to pull out his French phrase book. I said, "The hostess is French but she's still a Jewish mother. If I don't eat all my food, this is what she'll say and this is what we'll need to reply..." Sure enough, she comes back and says, basically, "What's wrong, you don't like my cooking?" All Jewish mothers are the same everywhere. Anyway, Jo Goldberg's has since closed, I understand, but it was still good when we went.

damofoto said...

I love multi-cultural postings! Thanks for the tale Mike, I thought it a great chuckle that you anticipated the reaction so accurately. Sylvie and I got the wonderful cheese, pate and meats featured in the earlier blog post from a Marais deli that looked like it hadn't changed in decades. What a wonderful spot.