Saturday, September 12, 2009

Late Night Playa del Carmen

Sylvie and I were dining at the Tides hotel in Playa del Carmen Friday night when the combination of the dim lighting favored by this enviro-friendly resort and a Riedel wine decanter had me reaching for the 5D Mk II. I had seen this kind of decanter before and wondered how to get a nice shot given the usual challenge of shooting glass or crystal but the large candle on our table provided the perfect combination of backdrop and diffused light to bring out shadows in the graceful curves. So I set the ISO to 2500 (one of the things I love about the Mark II is its low-light capability) and shot a few frames at f/2.5 and 1/40 sec using a 50mm f/1.8. I'm quite chuffed with the resulting warmth and simple lines of the shot.

No comments: