Monday, January 11, 2010

sydney downpour


Back in beautiful Sydney briefly before returning to Mexico City, the second day of 2010 brought with it a magnificent storm that unleashed a torrent of rain reminiscent of the deluges of the tropical north. Having sifted through bargains at the Glebe market, my companions and I had wandered into Sappho Books and Cafe on Glebe Point Rd for a bite of lunch and we marveled at the fury of the downpour from the perfect table perch on the back patio. The rain cascading from the tin iron roof evoked dim memories of my first years in country Australia and also of the storms that sometimes used to lash the roof of my little townhouse in Brisbane when I worked as a reporter there many years ago. It was also a great time to test out the capabilities of the little G11, which handled the conditions splendidly I thought, although I think the patrons suspected I was some nut who'd never seen rain before, the way I scurried around for the best angle. All in the name of art, of course.

No comments: