Monday, March 2, 2009

Automotively Challenged


As a red-blooded Australian male, car lust is firmly planted in the DNA strand, right alongside barbecuing, beer and fleeing the homeland. So when a friend pierced the haze of cigar smoke and Spanish slang of a recent poker game to ask if I would be interested in shooting his new ride, a 2009 Dodge Challenger, I leapt at the chance (actually, I bluffed, got called, bluffed some more,got called again, folded, shot the rest of my Scotch and tried to relight my cigar. Still, it was a reaction). On Saturday the Challenger duly arrived at my friend's apartment with a trio of car dealers who were understandably a touch fretful in handing over the keys to a 6.1 liter, V8 Hemi monster delivering 425 horsepower. The challenge, if you'll pardon the pun, is to reflect that kind of energy and power in a still photograph. As my pie-eyed pedal-pounding chum turned out of the parking area, I snapped a quick shot because I liked the angle and had a thought in mind that a little neon outlining in Photoshop would add flair - and reduce the cluttered background. With the sidewalk reflection coming out in oranges, yellows, blues and reds, I think it worked far better than I expected. And the client was sold. On the car, and the image.

No comments: