Monday, November 24, 2008

The foreign minister


Last week I had the pleasure - bleary-eyed though it was given a late return from the US - to cover the visit of the Australian Foreign Minister, Stephen Smith, to Mexico City. He was on his way to Peru and was stopping over to talk trade and education with local ministers and business leaders. I used to cover these trips as a reporter at Dow Jones, so it wasn't unfamiliar territory to trail him around. But I had one of my cameras, my Canon 40D, die on me without warning, leaving me with my back-up camera, an old 10D, more than 700 pictures on various CF cards and about two hours to process and deliver the images. I think the experience of following US Treasury Secretaries around on world trips had prepared me well. Deadline made. Client happy.


No comments: