Friday, December 5, 2008

Back to Washington


My previous life came calling in recent days and I dusted off the suit, rummaged through the closets for an overcoat, and found myself on the old United 822/823 milk run between DF and DC. A little less than three days later I fly out with work in hand, a new camera body (a second Canon 40D - you may have seen the earlier post about my other 40 having "issues"), and renewed fondness for Washington in chilly times. For those who may not be familiar with the World Bank, perhaps a glimpse or two will help. This is a light fixture from the second sub-basement level. It's a good taste of the rest of the structure, which underwent a massive makeover in the nineties and emerged a post-modern edifice of glass, aluminum and polished concrete (often mistaken for marble).  I was drawn by the subtleties in tone, and the sharp edges and angles that are so prevalent in the building (and yes, I'm being metaphorical to boot).

No comments: